This blog is hoppin’!

It’s the 2014 Liberate Your Art Postcard Swap Blog Hop! Be sure to follow the links to see all the artists and their amazing artwork — 209 artists from 10 countries liberated 1254 art postcards. It is such a thrill to be part of this huge event!!!

This is the art that I sent out into the world. It represents a phoenix surrounded by Tiare flowers, also known as the queen of flowers or Tahitian gardenia or Monoi in Hawaiian.

MHPostcardFinal_2

The quote I included for my card is from Ursula K. LeGuin: “It is good to have an end to journey, but it is the journey that matters in the end.”

The first card I received was from 5th grader Olivia from South Orange, NJ.  I love it!

Hello! My name is Olivia Morgan and I live in New Jersey (USA).  I am in 5th grade.  I love to write stories and draw in my free time.  This drawing is a mosaic that makes a girl's face.  It's a lot of people of different races.  Hope you like it. --Olivia Morgan, South Orange, NJ

Hello! My name is Olivia Morgan and I live in New Jersey (USA). I am in 5th grade. I love to write stories and draw in my free time. This drawing is a mosaic that makes a girl’s face. It’s a lot of people of different races. Hope you like it.
–Olivia Morgan, South Orange, NJ

The next card that arrived was from Emma Bogush (at emmaisanartist.blogspot.com) It showed up the day before I had to return to the Mainland for a whirlwind trip so I was unable to showcase Ariel in her proper environment until we returned a couple weeks later… On the back of the card is the quote: “There is no point in growing up if you can’t act a little childish sometimes.” The Fourth Doctor…. I totally agree!  I find that at 50, I’m more childish (full of wonder, amazement and delight) than ever!

Ariel spends some time on Turtle Beach, North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii.

Ariel spends some time on Turtle Beach, North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii.

When I returned from our trip to the Mainland, this lovely story card from Lori Moon (lorimoonstudio.blogspot.com ) was waiting for me!  “May you find beauty in every day” was the request on the back… so I took it to Hanauma Bay for a little Hawaiian beauty…

Bringing the NY subway to the beach.... Hanauma Bay, Oahu, Hawaii

Bringing the NY subway to the beach…. Hanauma Bay, Oahu, Hawaii

The next card that graced our mailbox was from Jo Murray of Australia! (jomurray-art.blogspot.com.au) Since we have no dryer here in Honolulu, I thought I’d add her card along with the rest of the wash…

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see (Thereaux)

It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see (Thereaux)

And then came Madeleine Jone’s wonderful abstraction from Grosse Ile, MI (but postmarked Washington, DC)!

Swirling crescents mark the silent presence Fringed stalks  of plummage

Swirling crescents
mark the silent presence
Fringed stalks
of plummage

And finally, all the cards together, including Kat’s card called “Layered Autumn”

All cards from the Liberate Your Art postcard swap of 2014!

All cards from the Liberate Your Art postcard swap of 2014!

This challenge really pushed me to focus on creating something during the first weeks of confusion in our sabbatical home.  While I was still acclimating to the weather, figuring out the bus system and amazed by the rain, the deadline of creating a work of art and turning it into a postcard to share was an anchor and a guiding light.  And when the cards from the swap started arriving, I could share not only the cards, but the amazingness of our temporary home, Oahu, Hawaii.  Now the swap has ended.  And it is almost time for me to return home.  But the magic will remain… 6 cards and the gifts of their art.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to This blog is hoppin’!

1. Claire says:

Wonderful to see your postcards in such a beautiful setting – wow!
    Lovely to meet you through the swap and Happy Easter from England x

2. Snap says:

Isn’t mail call fun?! What a great selection of cards and each so different. Really like how you photographed each one … the laundry made me giggle. Looking forward to next year already!

3. Awesome display of your postcards! And, I’m diggin’ your ukulele shot! I love strummin’ my Martin! Aloha

4. Kris says:

I love how you shot them all. You got some good pieces! See you next year.

5. Suzette says:

Wonderful display of postcards. I especially love the one hanging with the laundry…perfect! Have a wonderful and creative year and see you next time!

6. janice Darby says:

Your postcards are beautiful! as well as the ones you received… see you next year!

7. Kat Sloma says:

What a wonderful thing, to have this swap happen at the same time as your sabbatical! I’m glad it helped give you something to hang on to in the turmoil of moving. It was wonderful to see the cards your received in your temporary environment, and they will be a great memory of your time there! Thanks for participating in the swap and the hop this year!

8. dana says:

I love that a 5th grader was involved! kudos for her art and her message. wonderful collection you have for 2014!
    cheers, dana

9. Jo Murray says:

They are all great…but I LOVE that you hung mine up with the washing. Thanks.

10. Andrea says:

Lucky you in paradise. Great cards.

11. jill eudaly says:

wonderful cards. Loved all the backdrops you added to your postcards, so clever.

12. Candace says:

Lovely, Natasha! I still have the peacock I got from you 2 years ago!

13. Juana says:

I love the creative way that you displayed the postcards you received. And the one you sent out is beautiful, both in design and art work! Looks like the postcard swap was a positive addition to your sabbatical.

14. Cheri says:

It is so much fun seeing all the art that was liberated! You got a great set.

15. I am such a dork… I was so enjoying all of the island photos…. but did I think to ask for your new address? NO! So you have a card waiting for your return home. I love that I got your card in the swap this year! Happy, Joyful creating to you Natasha!

• admin says:

I’m so glad you got one of my cards this year!! The mail forwarding has been problematic… and we’ve lost checks and W-2s in the process… I hope your card is waiting for me when I get home! If not, we may just have to meet for coffee to exchange!

16. I love the card you sent out! And the way you displayed the cards you received. It looks like you live in a gorgeous place.

17. Emma says:

I know I’m a bit late but I just want to let you know that I’m so happy you got Ariel! I’ve been following your blog for a while and when I first saw you had her I was so excited!

• admin says:

Hi Emma! I’m thrilled I had a chance to take Ariel to her true environment! Delightful card! Thanks so much!

18. Maddison says:

Stunning cards here Natasha, and what beautiful scenery to live in, jealous!!! 🙂

19. Aimee says:

Ooo, love how you displayed the cards you received. You got a set of great ones, and I love what you sent out. (Oh, and, I’m Emma Bogush’s mom!)

• admin says:

Hi Aimee! This swap has been so much fun! Both to make the card, to receive the cards and to think of ways to display them all!

20. carlyn says:

Your card is lovely! And you got great cards, which you made all the better by your excellent photography!