First things first:
Goal 1: Generate more energy
The idea is that if I have more energy, then I will be better focus, and be better able to do everything else that builds happiness. It’s hard to feel happy when you can barely stay awake through lunchtime.
There are at 3 facets to generating more energy:
- Get more sleep.
- Eat better.
- Exercise better.
Get more sleep.
I’ve fallen into the habit of watching the late night news, then doing the evening chores, then the brushing of teeth and washing of the face, then I read for a bit, and the next thing I know it’s past midnight, sometimes quite a bit past midnight, and by that time the brain is clicking with ideas, images and distracting thoughts. Then it can take hours for the brain the quiet down and rest.
I am definitely a night owl, getting a second wind around 11:30, so I need to strategize how to avoid that energy surge and get to sleep before it hits as advised by Dr. Michael J. Breus on WebMD
- Make sure your room is very dark with no blue or white lights.
- Follow a regular bedtime/wake time schedule, even on week-ends
- No naps after noon.
- Vigorous exercise is good, but not 3 hours before going to bed.
- Limit caffeine during the day, and stop drinking caffeine after 3pm.
- Check to see if there’s an underylying physical problem such as sleep apnea or restless leg syndrome if the above isn’t working after a week or two.
I’ve got my work cut out for me, but I am convinced that more sleep will definitely help my focus and mood.
Ready, set, zzzz.